BioMutant is an action role-playing video game developed by Swedish developer Experiment 101 and published by THQ Nordic. The game is an open-world RPG with kung-fu elements and a post-apocalyptic setting. It was first announced last August 21 and a gameplay trailer was released at the German trade show Gamescom on August 25.
The game can now be pre-ordered through Amazon and is scheduled to be released on December 31 next year.
Products from Amazon.com
- Price: $103.37Was: $119.99
- Price: $103.37Was: $119.99
For some of you are still not set on preordering the game, we break down the features the game has to offer:
- Character and Weapon Crafting: The player can strengthen their character attributes by using level-up points, unlocking new attack combinations or interacting with specific characters in each area. Most moves are based on weapons, which can be crafted using the game’s weapon crafting system. Each weapon has sockets and players can affix upgrades to these sockets to gain a variety of effects in battle.
- Fresh 3rd Person Combat Style: The martial arts style combat system allows you maximum freedom of movement and agility while mixing shooting, melee, and powers from your mutations. Acquiring new Wushu combat styles through progression, and learning from masters you’ll meet, constantly adds to your choices and makes sure combat never gets old.
- A Chockful of Gear for Adventuring: Not only do you have the freedom to choose your weapons, you can also choose from a variety of gear. Equip a gas mask and an oxygen tank for exploring the Dead Zones, thermo-resistant clothes for venturing into cryonic areas or protective gear for taking on bio-contaminated creatures.
- Personalized Character: You can customize gender, length, thickness, fur, fangs, and many other attributes and all have a direct impact on the statistics of the playable character during gameplay. A thicker character is heavier, which makes it slower but on the flip-side allows it to deal and resist more damage.
- Evolve While You Play: You’ll be able to alter your genetic structure to change the way you look and play. This will, of course, affect your attributes and in addition to this, exposure to bio-contamination in the world will lead to physical mutations such as mantis-claws and barbed tails. Exposure to radioactivity found in bunkers from the old world will affect your mind and unlock psi-mutations including telekinesis, levitation and more.
- Karma System: The game features a karma system for non-playable characters and a companion system for recruiting allies for fighting and traveling alongside with the player. Depending on the actions, interactions, and decisions the player makes throughout the whole game, the stances characters take can change. This can influence the direction of the story as dialogues and quest lines will be changed.
- An Unusual Story with an unusual end: Your actions play a major part on how the story unfolds. A plague is ruining the land and the Tree-of-Life is bleeding death from its roots. The Tribes stand divided, in need of someone strong enough to unite them or bring them all down. Although you are guided through the world by a storyteller that narrates every step of your journey, it’s your actions and choices that’ll decide how your story of survival ends. If you played Bastion, you know how the storyteller is.
Not all people are a fan of the narration and the “comic book style” hit effects. A Redditor emailed Experiment 101 asking if there is an option to turn off these features and the developers confirmed that both features can be turned off.
BioMutant looks great and it’s one of the new open-world games to come out after The Horizon: Zero Dawn that looks promising.