Dota 2 is starting its usual pre-tournament tune-up ahead of August’s The International, the largest and most prestigious Dota 2 e-sports event. Patch 7.06e will likely be the last set of major changes before it all kicks off next month. The patch includes buffs and nerfs across items and heroes, as well as a change to jungle earnings.
Heroes that emerged as first-pick, first-ban material have received some small nerf. Four of the five most picked heroes in the North American qualifiers — Puck, Sand King, Lina, and Legion Commander — saw their ability power treaks. Untouched heroes, like Spectre and Windranger, received minor buffs.
Though most changes are small enough that affected heroes will probably still have a place in the metagame, a handful received more significant changes that will likely alter their popularity immediately.
Alchemist, who was rarely picked in the qualifiers, received significant improvements. Bounty runes will now offer a 2.5x gold multiplier. The hero’s base agility has also been increased from 11 to 16.
Though it’s too early to tell what effect the patch will have on the competitive Dota 2 metagame, the patch is likely to be either the last or second to last before The International 7. As a result, professional players will have plenty of time to explore, refine, and create strategies.
Here’s the full list of changes:
- Neutral small camps: gold bounty increased by 10%
- Veil of Discord: Recipe cost increased from 400 to 500
- Bloodthorn: Critical Strike damage reduced from 1.45x to 1.4x
- Heaven’s Halberd: Disarm duration on ranged heroes reduced from 5.5 to 5
- Alchemist: Base Agility increased from 11 to 16
- Alchemist: Greevil’s Greed Bounty Rune multiplier increased from 2x to 2.5x
- Arc Warden: Turn rate improved from 0.4 to 0.6
- Batrider: Flaming Lasso cooldown increased from 90/75/60 to 100/80/60
- Brewmaster: Fire brewling health increased from 1200 to 1300
- Brewmaster: Level 10 Talent changed from +30 Attack Speed to +30 Damage
- Brewmaster: Level 25 Talent changed from +120 Damage to +140 Attack Speed
- Broodmother: Level 20 Talent from +12 Spiders Attack Damage to +14
- Bristleback: Base damage reduced by 4
- Chen: Hand of God Heal increased from 225/325/425 to 225/350/475
- Chen: Level 20 Talent increased from +90 Gold/Min to +120
- Clockwerk: Battery Assault manacost increased from 75 to 100
- Clockwerk: Base damage reduced by 3
- Dark Seer: Surge cooldown increased from 12/11/10/9 to 13/12/11/10
- Enchantress: Nature’s Attendants manacost reduced from 125/140/155/170 to 125
- Io: Spirits manacost increased from 120/130/140/150 to 150
- Legion Commander: Press The Attack cast range reduced from 800 to 700
- Leshrac: Level 15 Talent increased from +10% Magic Resistance to +15%
- Leshrac: Pulse Nova damage increased from 100/130/160 to 100/140/180
- Lifestealer: Strength gain reduced from 3.3 to 3.1
- Lina: Dragon Slave damage reduced from 110/180/250/320 to 85/160/235/310
- Lina: Level 25 Talent from +40/4% Fiery Soul to +35/3%
- Luna: Level 10 Talent from +15 Movement Speed to +20
- Luna: Level 20 Talent from +10% Magic Resistance to +15%
- Lycan: Howl cooldown increased from 55/50/45/40 to 60/55/50/45
- Monkey King: Boundless Strike cooldown reduced from 25 to 22
- Monkey King: Wukong’s Command Attack Interval improved from 1.6 to 1.4
- Morphling: Base Attack Time improved from 1.55 to 1.5
- Naga Siren: Base health regen increased from 0.5 to 1.5
- Nightstalker: Base Intelligence reduced from 16 to 13
- Nightstalker: Hunter In The Night cooldown increased from 26/22/18/14 to 30/26/22/18
- Nyx Assassin: Movement Speed reduced from 305 to 300
- Ogre Magi: Level 15 Talent increased from +8% Magic Resistance to +12%
- Ogre Magi: Level 20 Talent increased from +250 Health to +350
- Ogre Magi: Level 20 Talent increased from +25 Movement Speed to +30
- Phantom Lancer: Agility gain increased from 2.6 to 2.8
- Phoenix: Level 10 Talent from +175 Health to +200
- Puck: Base Armor reduced by 1
- Pugna: Level 25 Talent increased from +150 Nether Blast Damage to +200
- Queen of Pain: Base Damage reduced by 4
- Queen of Pain: Level 25 Spell Lifesteal reduced from 70% to 60%
- Razor: Agility gain reduced from 2.0 to 1.8
- Sand King: Caustic Finale timer damage from 45/65/85/110 to 20/50/80/110
- Shadow Demon: Base Strength increased from 19 to 21
- Shadow Demon: Demonic Purge cooldown reduced from 50 to 40
- Sniper: Agility gain increased from 2.5 to 2.7
- Spectre: Base Strength increased from 19 to 20
- Spectre: Level 15 Talent from +20 Movement Speed to +25
- Sven: Warcry cooldown increased from 32/26/20/14 to 34/28/22/16
- Tiny: Toss can now throw units to Spell Immune enemies
- Venomancer: Strength gain reduced from 2.15 to 1.9
- Visage: Grave Chill mana cost reduced from 100 to 90
- Windranger: Windrun manacost reduced from 75 to 60
- Winter Wyvern: Cold Embrace base health regen increased from 20 to 25
- Winter Wyvern: Arctic Burn slow increased from 19/26/33/40% to 22/28/34/40%
The patch will see its first bit of major competitive play as part of the Mars Dota 2 League this week. Many of the teams competing were direct invites or easy qualification winners for TI7, so expect them to shape the meta going forward. Chances are after that – or even during – there will be further small tweaks, so keep an eye out.
TI7 itself is now ready to go. All the teams have been decided. Oddly enough, there’s no date yet set for group games to begin, but expect it in the latter half of July.
Wings Gaming Cannot Fly Anymore
For the first time in Dota 2 history, there will be no defending champion at this year’s International. The Chinese bracket has ended in defeat for all five ex-Wings Gaming defending champion.
The one role carry player Chu “Shadow” Zeyu went to Team Eclipse, while mid laner Zhou “bLink” Yang and Li “iceice” Peng formed Team Dango. Both teams failed to make it through the open Chinese qualifiers.
Wings Gaming won the 2016 International, and with it, the lion’s share of over $20 million in prize money. In the time since the roster has experienced rough seas. After a falling out with its parent organization, leading to the five-man roster becoming Team Random, that squad also dissolved leading up to The International 2017 qualifiers.