This August’s PS Plus update has some good and bad news. Let’s start with the good news first as the free games coming are pure mayhem and chaos!
- Just Cause 3 – Take Rico Rodriguez on a wild ride to liberate Medici from military dictatorship. Set six years after its predecessor, the plays from a third-person perspective and allows players to explore the island of Medici in an open-world environment.
- Assassin’s Creed Freedom Cry – Set several decades after the piratical exploits of young Edward Kenway, this standalone expansion to Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag places you into the boots of a shipwrecked sailor and Brotherhood Assassin Adéwalé as he goes head to head with a cadre of French slavers. Expect death-defying acrobatics, copious bloodletting and a few pesky Templars trying to do something dastardly.
- Super Motherload is a 1 to 4-player couch co-op digging adventure game. It is the sequel to Motherload, an flash game also developed by XGen Studios, released in 2004.
- Snakeball uses most of the mechanics of the late 70s game Snake. The goal consists of taking the balls and throwing them into the hole at the center of the stage.
- Downwell (cross-buy with PS4)
- Level 22
More PS Plus Goodies
PS Plus Summer Movies are back with six weeks of 99¢ rentals. Check out the full schedule of movies below, then head over to PS Store each week to enjoy 99¢ rentals.
You can download the PlayStation Video app on Android or iOS devices and watch your movies on the go. Once rented, your unwatched movies stay in My Videos for up to 30 days. Hot right?
Okay, are you ready for the bad news?
Sony Announces Price Hike for Europe
Emails sent to subscribers this morning said that the company is increasing prices for Europe. The emailed mentioned that the change will go into effect on August 31.
In the UK, the annual price goes up by 25 per cent, from £39.99 to £49.99. The quarterly price goes up from £14.99 to £19.99. And the monthly price goes up from £5.99 to £6.99.
Sony did state a reason for the said price hike.
How To Avoid the Extra Cost Temporarily
As the memo stated, the price change will go live on August 31, so if you’re an existing member then all your next subscription fees on or beyond that date will be charged at the new price.
Luckily, there is a simple trick to avoid the price hike, at least for a while. If you renew your annual subscription before the eve of August 30, you’ll be covered for another year. You can also buy subscription cards from third-party vendors and stack them up on your account for as long as you want to avoid the new pricing.